A few takeaways from this week:
- Read The Sparrow, Tiny Beautiful Things, and anything by Diana Wynne Jones
- Reread Harry Potter at least ten more times, maybe backwards.
- We still miss Google Reader. What were they thinking?
- Introverts unite!!
- There are a lot of new-to-me, high-quality book blogs out there that I'm excited to visit!
And since I didn't post yesterday, a few thoughts on connecting:
- I'm really bad at social media, but from the handful of posts I read yesterday, I'm not alone.
- And I think that's okay. I think a lot of us book bloggers feel comfort and support from a community that shares our love/obsession for hardcore reading even if there are not a lot of concrete involvements like a comment or twitter post.
- I love you lurkers! It's good to know you're out there.
- Having said all of that, visiting and commenting is one of my favorite things. I think we all would like to comment more but are limited by time, darn it!
- I WILL master Twitter.
- I have lots of warm and fuzzy feelings about bloggers that I have felt connected with over the past 9-10 years since I started my blog. However, I find that I hold back because I know that there are going to be times when I need to step back from the book blogging community depending on what's going on in life, and I hate the idea of forging a friendship, and then backing away into my cocoon when things are stressful. Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe this is an introvert thing.
And concerning burnout/keeping things fresh:
- I don't think I've experienced burnout. I just stop blogging when my priorities shift and then jump in when I can again. My longest break was very recent, for about 2-3 years because I went back to school and other things. Yes, I lost followers, but it happens. As long as I get one comment on a post I'm happy. Zero is depressing I have to admit :)
- My blog is pretty unprofessional, and that works for me. My main focus is to write reviews so that I remember my experience with a book. Because of that, I don't do a lot of different types of posts.
- Having said that, I do have GOALS this year, which is a bold step for me. I plan to review every book I read this year (even geeky Star Wars books and 1,000 page history books) and even have it on the calendar to write a review every Monday and Thursday (have failed at this just a bit already). I also would like to include some other things that go on in my life, mostly because I love it when other people do so.
- With that in mind, here's what has been keeping me from completely immersing myself in BBAW this week. We're redoing a room (that my adult kids used to sleep in before they left, boo-hoo). That big thing in the middle is a treadmill. This is going to be a guest room/fitness room. We've had to do a lot of wall repairs and replace all the trim and frame the window. I'll post pictures when it's done. I plan to do a lot of reading while on that treadmill when it's all in place!